Padmanabham is a mandal of Visakhapatnam district, which is situated 45 Km from Visakhapatnam city. Padmanabham has earned itself a place in history with the Battle of Padmanabham between Chinna Vijayarama Raju of the Gajapati dynasty of Vizianagaram and the British Colonel Pendergast sent by the British Governor of Madras.
By 1768, the tribal areas such as Parlakimidi, Ganjam, Mohiri, Gunsuru, and Pratapagiri were ruled by 20 Zamindars. They owned 34 forts and maintained approximately 35,000 armed troops. Many of these zamindars revolted against the British East India Company. Some of the castles were located in the hills of the manyam. Therefore, the defeated rebel Zamindars were retreated into the Hill fortress
After the death of Ananda Gajapatiraju, Vijayarama Raju became Raja of the Vizianagaram Zamindari. After he took over the reign, British attempted to increase payment of peskas from Vizianagara Zamindar and to reduce the strength of his army and ordered to pay his dues of 8,50,000 peskas. Although Raja proved that he had no dues, the British had captured Vizianagara on 2 August 1793. British ordered that Vijayarama Raju must go to exile Masulipatnam with the pension of Rs 1200 per month. However, Vijayarama Raju refused this orders and he went to Padmanabham located between the Bheemunipatnam and Vizianagaram. The Battle Of Padmanabham was fought on July 10th, 1794. The British troops defeated Vizianagaram army and Chinna Vijayarama Raju died due to bullet injury in the battle, along with 800 of his soldiers, as he was ill equipped against the sophisticated weaponry of the British.
Padmanabham has two very old temples.
The first temple is a 600 year old Anantha Padmanabhaswamy temple located on a hill. You can see the white temple on top with the steps leading to it.
Over the years though I went past it many times, hadn’t gone to the temple as I had to climb 1300 steps which was daunting.
Recently a road has been made for vehicles to go to the top. Though it hasn’t become a pucca road as yet, it allows vehicles to go up, so we went.
It is believed that the Pandavas came here during vanvaas. When they prayed to Lord Krishna to appear to them, Krishna said that he would manifest in a barely visible form & then manifested as a svayambhu on this hill. Bhagvan appeared as Shanku, Chakra and Namam on this stone and hence was worshipped by them. After that, over the years, this appearance was covered by an ant hill which became home for snakes. When the snakes were worshipped, even Bhagvan was worshipped involuntarily. 600 years ago, the Raja of Vizianagaram, the Royal family of the Pusapati rulers (of whom our ex aviation minister is the present head now) dreamed of a snake and of Bhagvan telling him that he was manifested on a hill and was now covered with a snake pit & to build temple there. The king came and on the instruction of Bhagvan, built a temple here to worship Ananta Padmanabhaswamy.
According to the pujari everyday a snake comes to the temple in the morning.
Anantha Padmanabha Swamy temple
Dwajastambham in front.
It is a small temple but very peaceful. Stone pillars in the interior.
Beautiful views from the temple.
The second is Madhava Swamy temple which is near the foot of the hill.
The entrance and the Ratha to carry Deva during the festivals. The entrance has Dwarapalas painted in red on either side.
The dwajastambham in the outer prakaram
Vishnu and Krishna sculpted on either side of the entrance to the inner prakaram.
This temple was built around 500 years ago.
Entrance to outer prakaram, pic taken from inside.
Madhava Swamy temple and the interior.
Madhava Swamy is different here. He is 4 armed. Top 2 hands hold the Shanka & Chakra. Lower left hand is in abhaya mudra while right hand holds a gadha. He is flanked by Sridevi & Bhudevi. Garuda is at his feet.
Alwars in a room inside.
There is also an enclosure for Lakshmi maa.
Mandapam all around the inner prakaram. This is a picture is taken from the top of the entrance of the outer prakaram of Madhava Swamy temple.
With this finished having darshan in two old temples.